Thursday, February 26, 2009

Craft-along+pocket organizer = excuse to go to new IKEA

Pocket Organiser
This months craft-along with Finny & Donk provided me with yet another excuse to get my overlocker out AND to visit the new IKEA. One of the experiences was fine and trouble free the other was tiring and my own silly fault. I think you can guess which was which. The choices this month were to craft a fabric bowl which I was tempted by - I have admired this technique ever since I first saw it written about by Helen Deighan in the second of her fab. books on dyeing. She later dedicated an entire book on fabric coil pots and baskets. Anyway as I could envisage breaking needles and other things I decided on having a go at this pocket organizer.

After a trip and a bit to IKEA, I returned with the following fabric.
I then had an unplanned tidy up of my battings, interfacing and other assorted stuff. Which was a neat piece of procrastination as I was having trouble with a language barrier. I really wasn't totally sure of the equivalents of Pellon in the Vilene universe. So I guessed and substituted the backing stabiliser for some (I think) Timtex which I still had kicking around from a previous project. Anyway, its still in one piece and came out quite well so can't be worried too much about it. The hanging mechanism is currently a pair of safety pins. When I decide on its final purpose and position I may either choose the original grommet option or maybe slip stitch a quilt sleeve to the back.

2 comments:

Cda00uk said...

Pelmet Vilene.

Nice organiser - I must pluck up the courage to go to IKEA one of these days - although I suspect it might break the fabric diet I'm on ...

Kitty said...

I was trying to figure out whether Peltex is the same as pelmet Vilene (stiff but quite thin) or timtex-like (firm but thicker and slightly spongy like a green washing up scourer). If I ever visit the States again I am tempted to go to the nearest fabric store and buy iccle samples of the entire pellon range. Ikea has some lovely fabrics, newbie staff and some quite deranged customers (I do, of course, include myself) at the moment. Best to go with a project in mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...