Friday, October 17, 2008

How to ruin a sketchbook in one easy lesson

Whilst at the show I admitted to Sue, one of my new teachers that I hadn't done an awful lot of preparatory work for the first of the workshops which I will be attending next week. Despite my trip to Vienna, I had done very little art work unless you allowed for the Opie-isation of myself and my beloved. She gave me a few pointers to get me started on my sketchbook:

  • don't start at the beginning.
  • make a place for my sketchbook and just do a little at a time with whatever drawing implement (pencil, pen, charcoal etc.) each time I passed.
  • get some background already painted on those pristine white pages.
Whilst those words of wisdom were still fresh in my mind, I stole myself away into my cavern and spent no more than hour (or it possibly was only half) and rustled up the following:

12 paint brushes / foam brushes
Lots of Paint Brushes
12 pots of mixed up Brusho

Pots of Brusho


One unsullied, untouched, pristine sketchbook


I then set about sploshing (yes that it is a technical term) on the pages:
washing, scrubbing, hatching etc. turning each page as it was covered. I then closed it up and let it dry (as I had been generous it has taken a while), unworried about colours merging or my sketchbook being perfect or beautiful:
One "ruined" sketchbook


Now that it has "cured" I now have a "ruined" sketchbook I no longer feel precious about. Have now got some lovely backgrounds to add to:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Neat idea!

Cda00uk said...

And now you know why my koh-i-noor palette looks like it does ...

Good idea about the ready mixed brusho though.

She doesn't want too many actual sketches, does she?

Kitty said...

Unfortunately I never got the instructions for mixing brusho in my box (I suspect it got lost in the shop before my sister very kindly purchased my powders for my birthday). I will be polling my fellow artists for 5 minutes with their copy & a photocopier.... ;-).

Tip to colourcraft - how about a handy downloadable pdf?

Cda00uk said...

I think I have a copy - although whether it gives real instructions I can't remember. I'll try to remember to bring it on Friday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...