Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sample "quilt"


I say "quilt" because I'm not sure what is it. Some of it is quilted, some of it isn't. Maybe its a throw? But I won't be throwing it around anywhere any time soon - some of the sections are too delicate! I decided last weekend to put into action what I had thought about doing for a long time: sew my applique, quilting and patchwork samples into a sample throw of some sort. We are encouraged on our course to present our work in different ways so I thought about doing this. Now I have actually done this.

I also put together a bag to store it in. It's attached to the throw (cropped out of shot) and I transferred on the technique description for each section - thus providing a handy guide.
A few extra touches are up for consideration but I have decided to devote my time for the rest of the weekend on progressing with my final piece: the accessory. Things to add are:
- extra ribbons so that I can tie up the pocket opening when the throw has been folded in side.
- a tassel or other tied embellishment at each corner where the sections meet.
- a strip of cloth slip stitched to the top back of the quilt so that it can be hung up by a pole (this would be good if I had room at the end of term exhibtion or for a more permanent hanging in my studio)

Some of the sections are new but a few of them I have blogged, when completed, over the past year. I hope I have found all the backlinks (wish blogger was a little more helpful doing this).

Mola
Carrickmacross
Cut-through layers
Layering with machine embroidery and the soldering iron
Layering with hand stitches and cutting by hand

2 comments:

Fat Bird Does Exercise said...

It could always be a kind of table covering if covered witha sheet of protective glass?

It's amazingly colour co-ordinated - very effective!

Kitty said...

Of course its colour coordinated! I had this in mind from last summer when I got a pile of applique homework to do during the summer vacation. After wrecking one of my finished pieces, this will probably end up in my City and Guilds finished work tub.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...