Saturday, September 01, 2007

P is for Pizza

P is for pizza

At the end of the day I am a true computer nerd - I would happily eat cold pizza for breakfast. When I was a kid I really didn't like pizza when it was served up at kids parties because it was shop bought and heated up. I really loved pizza when my mum was cooking pizza with a scone base. When I was a little older my mum introduced me to a quick pan pizza method which I made very un-quick by taking 3+ hours to prep and chop the ingredients.

Nowadays I make pizza reasonably quickly (quicker than dialling up for one) by making dough from scratch and heating my oven up to is maxmimum temperature. I am fairly particular about pizza toppings, for instance, pineapple or sweetcorn have NO BUSINESS on a pizza. Nor does chicken tikka. Stuffed crusts are not my thing. An American hot with plenty of pepperoni and a chopped chilli or two is good. Vegetarian ones with roast onion and peppers are good. Even better are pizzas with goats cheese and red pepper. Illustrated is a sketch of one of my current favourites, which I call a San Gimignano, no tomato sauce just plenty of sliced mushrooms lightly fried in a little oil and garlic over a base spread with black truffle puree and topped with mozarella. I first tried this combination in the summer when I was getting lunch in the main square of San Gimignano. The base of the pizza was amazing as well because it had been proved for 48 hours. Light and crispy. Now I am feeling hungry..

P could also be for Painting, Pickle, Procrastination

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...